Lady Gaga starts showing sass right from the get-go with some well-timed road rage, but then she launches right into her single “Perfect Illusion,” from her new album Joanne. Ever the lady, she even lets James Corden take the solo on some of the high parts.
After that, Lady Gaga and James Corden belt out “Bad Romance,” “Edge of Glory,” “Born This Way,” “Poker Face” and “Million Reasons.”
Of course, the conversations they had between the songs were just as interesting. Here are some of the highlights:
- James Corden asked Lady Gaga how she reacted when she found out about landing the Super Bowl halftime show for next year and they have a mock phone conversation to demonstrate
- When asked if anyone else gets to look at her lyrics before recording, Lady Gaga replies, “They don’t get to do that because I’m the boss.”
- Lady Gaga is just like us! She just passed her driving test, and her dad cried when she got her license. James Corden asks her if she’s learned the driving in New York hand signals yet, and she answers, “Yeah, this one” and flashes the middle finger.
- They both do vocal warmups using the phrase, “Benedict Cumberbatch is Sherlock Holmes.”
- Lady Gaga bought about 400 pieces of Michael Jackson’s clothes, which are kept in a temperature controlled room for preservation.
- Naturally, they had to talk fashion. “I don’t like it when fashion fails me,” Lady Gaga exclaimed when her earring fell out. As the conversation turns that route, Corden dons Lady Gaga’s iconic red lace outfit with the spiky crown thing as well as several other well-remembered looks. Lady Gaga stays away from directly insulting him by saying, “I think I looked alright in that look.”
Watch the full Carpool Karaoke segment here: