According to CNN, doctors have confirmed that the artist died from an opioid overdose. The report from the medical examiner’s office was succinct in its conclusions. It read, “How injury occurred: The decedent self-administered fentanyl.” Under the “Manner of Death” heading, “accident” was checked.
Fentanyl is a strong opioid which is prescribed to treat cancer. The drug has been the cause of many overdose deaths in the United States and can be made through illicit measures.
Fentanyl is at least 25 to 50 times more powerful than heroin and more than 50 times as strong as morphine.
Read more to get the recap on the days leading up to Prince’s death: